March 2nd, 2018: 2nd Annual Tackle Reading Across America Day…Your Classroom, School, or Football Team Can Join our Team This Year!!
**Presented by Kathryn Starke, Michelle Staubach Grimes, Dr. Jen Welter, and Beyond the Laces
March 2nd is the birthday of everyone’s favorite author, Dr. Seuss. In honor of his contribution to reading, Read Across America has been a tradition in elementary schools across the country. This year, we are kicking off the second annual Tackle Reading Across America, in which over 25 NFL teams and athletes will be promoting reading for kids and elementary schools in their community. We have expanded our reach into middle and high school to celebrate Women’s History Month focusing on strong female characters to tackle stereotypes with Jen Welter (first female NFL coach) and women of football. You don’t need to have an NFL team in your city to participate. Here is how you can Tackle Reading with us March 2, 2018.
- Wear the apparel of your favorite NFL team.
- Purchase #TackleReading attire. Available now! https://www.customink.com/fundraising/tackle-reading Proceeds from every shirt and sweatshirt help us donate more books to schools across the country.
- Invite former NFL athletes in your community to be a guest reader for the day.
- Invite your local high school or college football team to read books by Dr. Seuss to your elementary school classes.
- Set reading goals on February 2nd (Super Bowl Friday) for a month and/or March 2nd to the end of the school year (See example of football reading field below.)
- Complete language arts and math based football assignments throughout the day.
- Read and prepare the recipe of an edible football stadium by our celebrity cook, Daina Falk, Hungry Fan (see below).
- Share your pictures/day on social media @KathrynStarke @beyondthelaces using #TackleReading
- Purchase copies of our selected sponsorship titles for your school. (See below).
- Read football themed children’s books. Some examples include the following:
- Beyond the Laces by Bob Salomon
- Where Is Pidge?* by Michelle Staubach Grimes
- Amy’s Travels* by Kathryn Starke
- The Character Club* by Joshua Cole
- The Shelter Gang and Their Secret Adventure by Rich and Kathy Verlander
- Play Big* by Jen Welter
- Tackle Reading written by 45 contributing writers (NFL athletes, celebrities, authors, & leaders)
*If your school of choice has a specific number in mind, multiply that number by $7.00 to receive the cost of the gift. Thank you in advance for support of literacy. Together, we can tackle reading!
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org for purchasing/orders/inquiries
*Example of football reading goal field. Choose your favorite team, and assign each student a number. The students’ number is moved to each line as reading goal is achieved (reading goal lines can be either number of minutes or number of books read).
Edible Football Stadium Recipe by Daina Falk, Hungry Fan
*Click on the link below to get the step by step directions!
Examples of Social Media Posts:
*Finally, check out our 2018 Tackle Reading team!