March 2, 2021: 5th Annual Tackle Reading Across America Day…Your Classroom, School, or Football Team Can Join our Team This Year!!
**Presented by Kathryn Starke and Michelle Staubach Grimes
To celebrate literacy, Read Across America has been a tradition in elementary schools across the country. This year, we are kicking off the fifth annual Tackle Reading Across day on Tuesday, March 2, 2021, in which all 32 NFL teams have been represented by current players, former players, retired players, and Hall of Fame members promoting a love of literacy with a passion for football in elementary schools in their community. You don’t need to have an NFL team in your city to participate. Here is how you can Tackle Reading with us Virtually!
- Wear the apparel of your favorite NFL teams.
- Sign up for free to participate at Caribu https://caribu.com/education/
- Email email@example.com or use the Contact Kathryn page to announce your participation through Caribu to be matched with an NFL athlete reader.
- Download your Tackle Reading language arts booklet here
- Invite former NFL athletes, college football team, or local high school football team in your community to be a virtual guest reader for the day. Enjoy reading your favorite children’s books, whimsical rhyming books by Dr. Seuss to celebrate his birthday, or our curated list of football themed books (see list below). Many are written by NFL athletes.
- Set reading goals on February 1st (Super Bowl weekend) for a month by number of minutes or books read. (See example of football reading field bulletin board below.)
- Complete language arts and math based football assignments throughout the day.
- Read and prepare the recipe of an edible football stadium by our celebrity cook, Daina Falk, Hungry Fan (see below).
- Share your pictures of the special day day on social media @KathrynStarke @beyondthelaces using #TackleReading
- Check out our Tackle Reading page through our partnership with Caribu.com to learn how to have a digital reading from an athlete for the day. Search Tackle Reading in the Caribu box or visit https://caribu.com/readaloud/
9. Enter this writing contest presented by NFL alumni and Pro Bowl player, Ken Harvey. Listen to Ken read his children’s book on Facebook. (https://www.facebook.com/CreativeMindsPublications/ Then, write a story from the perspective of Frank and Sally Gallon and Mr. Chocolate who live in the refrigerator. The book is called Life in the Fridge! Share your stories and pictures online using #TackleReading or email firstname.lastname@example.org for us to select and highlight the best one! Good luck!!
10. Read football themed children’s books. Many of these books are written by current and former NFL athletes.
Some examples include the following:
- Where is Pidge? by Michelle Staubach Grimes
- Pidge takes the Stage by Michelle Staubach Grimes
- Beyond the Laces by Bob Salomon
- Tackle Reading by Kathryn Starke
- Amy’s Travels by Kathryn Starke
- Mr. Business: The Adventures of Little BK series by BK Fulton
- Smitty Hits the Books by Wade Smith
- Come Find Me by Ken Harvey Illustrated by Terry Crews
- The Little Linebacker by Maria Dismondy and Stephen Tulloch
- Twin Treasures by Michael Attardi
- Nathan Hunt and Zandora’s Box by Michael Attardi
- Grant’s Sports Adventures by Johnny Rutledge
- Flying High by Julian Edelman
- Don’t Throw it to Mo by David Adler
- Bobblehead Beatdown by Bo Rush
- Tackle Reading by Kathryn Starke
- A Touchdown in Reading: An Educator’s Guide to Literacy Instruction by Kathryn Starke
- Tavon Does it All by Tavon Mason
- The Little Gladiator by Joel Gamble
- Desiree Davenport: Welcome to Treeless Park
- Carter: My Dream, My Reality by Tyrell Zimmerman
- Kickin’ It with Kenzie by Makenzie Lee-Foster
**This March, we want to provide more books for children to take home and/or teachers to add to each classroom. We welcome a partnership with any foundations, businesses, corporations, individuals, or organizations interested in sponsoring a local elementary school for a Tackle Reading event.
Contact: email@example.com for purchasing/orders/inquiries
*Example of football reading goal field. Choose your favorite team, and assign each student a number. The students’ number is moved to each line as reading goal is achieved (reading goal lines can be either number of minutes or number of books read).
Edible Football Stadium Recipe by Daina Falk, Hungry Fan
*Click on the link below to get the step by step directions!
Examples of Social Media Posts: