Professional sports, entertainment, and education create a team to Tackle Reading across the country.
NFL teams reading, children smiling, books donated, and #TackleReading trending: Our first annual Tackle Reading event was a huge success. On March 2, 2017, in honor of the 20th anniversary of Read Across America, we had over 20 NFL teams represented to tackle reading across America. Coast to coast current, retired, and legendary NFL athletes visited Title I/inner city elementary schools in their community to read to children and celebrate the birthday of Dr. Seuss. Every team that participated received a copy of Where is Pidge by Michelle Staubach Grimes, Beyond the Laces by Bob Salomon, Amy’s Travels by Kathryn Starke, and Tackle Reading, the book that kicked off the national movement.
Over 45 contributing writers including NFL athletes, authors, literacy leaders, celebrities, and educational organizations donated their time and talent to promote urban literacy education. Thanks to corporate sponsorship and charitable giving from individuals, nonprofits, and businesses, thousands of copies of Tackle Reading are given to schools and homes nationwide to promote reading. Follow #TackleReading on social media to see all of teams, athletes, authors, teachers, and schools that participated. We are already planning our next big day to promote a love of literacy with a passion for football. Together, we can tackle reading for children across America.
Photographs Above from top to bottom:
- Kansas Chiefs WR Jeremy Maclin with students from Operation Breakthrough in St. Louis, Missouri.
- Roger Staubach, Brandon Carr, and Michelle Staubach Grimes represent the Dallas Cowboys at Frank Guzick Elementary in Dallas, Texas.
- The Los Angeles Rams read at Thurgood Marshall Elementary.
- Kathryn Starke was the guest author at the Washington Redskins Read event in Redskins Park, Virginia.
- Five schools participating in the Redskins Read program received copies of Amy’s Travels and Tackle Reading by Kathryn Starke.
- Legendary quarterback Roger Staubach and Brandon Carr #39 of Dallas Cowboys shared the importance of reading.
- Wade Smith, former Houston Texan, read at Harvey S. Brown Elementary in Houston, Texas.
- Mark Brunell, former American quarterback and ESPN analyst, is a great supporter of Beyond the Laces.
- The cover of Tackle Reading, the book that kicked off a movement.
- #TackleReading trending on social media courtesy of NFL teams, authors, literacy leaders, celebrities, teachers, and media outlets.
Visit http://www.creativemindspublications.com to learn more information! Like Facebook.com/creativemindspublications to become a fan of literacy and learning! Follow @KathrynStarke #TackleReading on social media platforms.