Tackle Reading began in October 2016 with a book and campaign to promote quality reading education across the USA. The book has motivational tips, supportive guidance, inspiring stories, and engaging activities to promote reading at home and school. We have had over 45 writers contribute to this resource including NFL athletes, authors, literacy leaders, celebrities, and educational organizations. As a national urban literacy specialist and author, I travel across the country helping inner-city schools increase reading rates and failing schools receive full accreditation, usually in just one school year. Tackle Reading is now the official resource to help everyone do the same.
Thanks to social media, I have teamed up with fellow literacy advocates making a difference in our country’s literacy rates. One is Michelle Staubach, literacy advocate, mom, and author of children’s book, Where is Pidge?, which was named as an Indie book of the month by Kirkus Reviews. She also happens to be a key committee member of the annual Barbara Bush Foundation for Literacy Celebration and the daughter of legendary Dallas Cowboys quarterback Roger Staubach.
Another key player on our Tackle Reading team is Bob Salomon, the author and creator of Beyond the Laces, a children’s book with a purpose-to inspire children’s lives through kindness. Bob has garnered the support of athletes and leaders in the sports industry who are helping him spread his encouraging message, to never give up. Together, the three of us have joined forces to combine a love of literacy with a passion for football to tackle reading across America.
On March 2, 2017, to celebrate the birthday of Dr. Seuss, we are kicking off a special national event for the NFL to Tackle Reading Across America. We have your favorite teams, players, and legendary athletes including Roger Staubach, already on board to visit schools in their community and promote a love of reading. We are adding new teams and players every single day, so stay tuned! Each team committed to participating on March 2nd will receive a copy of all of the books written by Michelle, Bob, and myself to donate to the school they are visiting.
NFL Teams/Athletes Currently On Board (list updates daily)
- Arizona Cardinals
- Chicago Bears
- Dallas Cowboys
- Detroit Lions
- Indianapolis Colts
- Jacksonville Jaguars
- Kansas City Chiefs
- Los Angeles Rams
- New England Patriots
- San Francisco 49ers
- Tennessee Titans
- Washington Redskins
- Roger Staubach, legendary quarterback, Dallas Cowboys
- Brandon Carr, Dallas Cowboys
- Johnny Rutledge, retired from Arizona Cardinals
- Malcolm Mitchell, Read with Malcolm, New England Patriots
- Stephen Tulloch, The Little Linebacker, Philadelphia Eagles
- Roman Harper, Walter Payton Man of the Year, New Orleans Saints
- Wade Smith, Wade Smith foundation, former NFL player with Houston Texans
- Victor Green, Victor Green Foundation, former NFL player with New York Jets
Thank you to our NFL athlete writers of Tackle Reading! They include the following:
- Charles Johnson, Charles Johnson Foundation, Carolina Panthers
- Fernando Velasco, Right Choices Foundation, former NFL player with Carolina Panthers and Buffalo Bills
- Quinton Spain, Tennessee Titans
- Dion Foxx, retired NFL player with Washington Redskins
- Washington Redskins Charitable Foundation
Here’s the back story of Tackle Reading and how it all began….
Follow #TackleReading @BeyondtheLaces @MichelleSGrimes @KathrynStarke on Twiter and Instagram to be a part of our day and #TackleReading team. Together, we can tackle reading across America!
For more information about Tackle Reading, visit http://www.creativemindspublications.com and like Facebook.com/creativemindspublications
You must be logged in to post a comment.