Tackle Reading Tip Page
- Model reading for your children.
- Take your children to the library to obtain their own library card.
- Visit the library or local book store on a regular basis.
- Read and point out environmental print (labels, signs, boxes, etc.) on outings.
- Read aloud to your children, no matter their age.
- Match books to your children’s hobbies and interests.
- Match books to your children’s reading levels. Ask your children’s teacher for this information.
- Ask your children questions before, during, and after reading.
- Start a neighborhood book club for kids and recommend great titles.
- Keep a reading journal to provide reading responses.
Tackle Reading by urban literacy specialist, Kathryn Starke, is a resource for parents and families to love literacy at home and help children become independent readers. Tackle Reading is available for purchase at Amazon and BarnesandNoble.com; visit www.creativemindspublications.com for more reading support and services. Become a fan of literacy at Facebook.com/creativemindspublications