The USA ranks #24th in literacy. Research shows children who do not read on grade level by the time they are 9 years old are more likely to fail and even drop out of school. National reading tests show that while 66% of our 9 year olds read below grade level, 80% of 9 year olds from low-income schools read below grade level. 32 million adults, 14% of our population, can’t read. What’s more shocking is that we have not moved the needle in the past 10 years. We can change these statistics today when we tackle reading together.
Creative Minds Publications is ready to tackle reading with the help of some NFL players and individuals in the entertainment industry. Nationally recognized urban literacy specialist and author, Kathryn Starke, is creating a new book that will be put directly in the hands of children, families, and teachers in Title I/inner city elementary schools throughout the country. Published by Creative Minds Publications, this book will have teaching tips from experts, lesson ideas from fellow educators, and stories from celebrity readers. We are thrilled to consider you as a contributing writer for our book.
For our published contributors –
- You will receive 10 complimentary copies of the published book
- You will be a published contributor in a nationally publicized book
- Your name, title, organization, website, contact information may be printed on your page
- You will be mentioned (if desired) in social media campaigns once the book is released
- You should announce and showcase the book on your social media platforms
- You will get the opportunity to purchase books at $5.00 a piece to sell for fundraising purposes for your organization or campaign in your communitySample Contributor Chapters-
- Teacher to Teacher: teachers share literacy lessons that have worked in their classrooms
- Literacy Leaders: reading gurus share their expertise for teachers and parents
- Celebrity Readers: celebrities share a reading story from their school career
- Reading and Writing is My Life: Authors write stories to represent words in their life
- Reading Counts: organizations sharing stories about how reading makes a difference*Be creative! Provide a short story/passage no more than 1200 words, lesson plan, poem, or your own idea to connect with our readers (teachers, K-5 students, and families in urban districts across the US)Deadline to Submit: April 8, 2016
- *This book will be published once the book is 100% financed to donate nationally!