November 2005–Amy’s Travels by Kathryn Starke was first published by Creative Minds Publications, a global educational company founded by Kathryn Starke to provide quality reading instruction for all children.
2006-Our CEO, Kathryn Starke, shared our mission with her hometown of Richmond, Virginia
- First book review by Style Weekly
- First TV appearance on CBS 6 Morning Show
- First book signing at the Children’s Museum of Richmond
- First featured in the Richmond Educational Association trade newspaper
- First conference presentation with Richmond Area Reading Council
- Donated books to the Children’s Hospital of Richmond
- Partnered with MCV Child Life Development Center Back to School Event, in which patients received backpacks, bikes, a signed copy of Amy’s Travels, and school supplies.
2007-Author Kathryn Starke appeared as the Read Aloud Virginia Fall Exhibition Event Speaker and began serving as the guest author and literacy specialist for family reading nights in elementary schools throughout Virginia. Amy’s Travels was added to Teaching Books, a national educational platform for children’s books and book guides to implement into the classroom.
2008-California Department of Education adopted Amy’s Travels as a recommended multicultural and social studies children’s book. CEO Kathryn Starke provided a literacy speech for the Kiwanis Club. Copies of Amy’s Travels were donated to Greater Richmond SCAN.
2009-Author Kathryn Starke created a strong presence across Virginia.
- Amy’s Travels was picked up by Amazon
- Amy’s Travels received favorable publicity by Midwest Book Review
- Kathryn Starke added to USA Authors Write for Kids website
- Amy’s Travels picked up by Bedford Falls Book Fairs, which Kathryn Starke represents as a visiting author for book fairs and school assemblies for elementary schools throughout Virginia.
- Literacy specialist Kathryn Starke developed the “Teaching with Trade Books” program presented at the following:
- Virginia State Reading Association Conference
- Longwood Literacy Institute
- Virginia Association for School Librarians Conference
- Sheffield Elementary, Lynchburg, Virginia
- Author Kathryn Starke developed a summer writing clinic entitled “Write Away” for the Millwood School in Midlothian, Virginia.
2010-Our CEO Kathryn Starke booked for events along the East Coast.
- Appointed Advisory Board Member, Reach Out and Read Virginia
- Keynote Speaker, PBS Go Kids Writing Contest
- Keynote Speaker, Alpha Delta Kappa annual educational meeting
- Led Title I read aloud parent workshop, Richmond, Virginia
- Presented “Teaching with Trade Books” at the following:
- Longwood Literacy Institute
- Richmond Area Reading Council
- Virginia Association for School Librarians,
- regional school librarian conference at J. Sargent Reynolds Community College
- Amy’s Travels added to Multicultural Kids
- Amy’s Travels mentioned in an ehow.com article entitled “Ideas for Teaching the Continents
- “Global Learning for Young Children” article by Kathryn Starke published, About Families, Pennsylvania.
- Kathryn Starke, visiting author, “Passport One Upon an Author” program, Stepping Stones Museum, Norwalk, CT
2011–Amy’s Travels and Creative Minds Publications (CMP) recognized nationally
- The Amy’s Travels Project launched on Skype in the Classroom
- Amy’s Travels present in over 20 countries on 6 continents.
- Amy’s Travels acknowledged by the University of San Diego SOLES Department of Teaching and Learning.
- CMP lands on social media platforms as a leader in literacy.
- CMP featured in story, eHow Money
- “Creativity in Children” by Kathryn Starke published, Tidewater Women Parenting Magazine
- Kathryn Starke named Author-In-Residence for I Have a Dream Foundation
- Kathryn Starke presented “Teaching with Trade Books” at the following
- Delaware State Reading Conference
- Virginia Association for School Librarians conference.
2012-Author Kathryn Starke named one of the 50 Great Writers You Should Be Reading by the National Author’s Show after Amy’s Travels is released in its second edition.
- Donated books for Fund Raising Gala for Center of the Arts, Bonita Springs, Florida
- Donated books for Jefferson Library, Oregon
- Amy’s Travels is added to data base, University of Miami at Ohio
- Author Kathryn Starke, featured guest/writer for blogs and publication
- The International Educator
- Education Digest
- Pragmatic Mom
- Katie Davis Burp
- Inspire Me Today featured luminary
- Kathryn Starke presented “Teaching with Trade Books,” Virginia State Reading Association Conference
- Guest author, Winchester Museum Earth Day Festival
- Keynote speaker, Richmond Area Reading Council Reading Teacher of the Year banquet
- Kathryn Starke develops the “Create Your Own Book” children’s workshop with the Library of Virginia Foundation, now presented annually during the Virginia Literary Festival.
2013-Creative Minds Publications adds more urban literacy consulting nationwide.
- CEO Kathryn Starke, presenter at the National Family Literacy Conference, Louisville
- Kathryn Starke, speaker, Women’s Empowerment Virtual Conference.
- Kathryn Starke, children’s author, Washington Redskins Reading program, FedEx Field
- Kathryn Starke, author for Hispanic Heritage Month programs, Virginia Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
- Features in print include the following:
- Guest contributor, International Reading Association
- Guest contributor, Women’s Voices Magazine.
- Profile, Longwood University’s On Point Alumni Magazine
- Company feature, Fox Small Business News
- Amy’s Travels showcase, Danny Brassell’s “Lazy Readers”
- Kathryn Starke appears at the college/university level-
- Urban educational trainer, VCU AmeriCorps
- Urban educational panelist, Virginia Commonwealth University
- Urban educational panelist University of Richmond
- Guest lecturer, writing education class, VCU.
2014-Our CEO Kathryn Starke travels nationwide sharing her love of reading and writing
- Amy’s Travels, spring musical performance created by the Latin Ballet of Virginia
- Named children’s author/literacy advocate, Washington Redskins Read Program
- Appearance, Virginia This Morning
- Library of Virginia Meet the Author event
- Radford Literary Festival
- First Virginia Children’s Book Festival.
- Guest lecturer, multicultural children’s literature, VCU
- Presenter, Amy’s Travels program, Spanish immersion school in Manhattan Beach, CA
- Literacy Trainer, University of Chicago Urban Education Institute supporting urban elementary schools in the following locations:
- Boston, Massachusetts
- New York City
- Charleston, South Carolina
2015-This November, we celebrate our 10th year in literacy education with CEO/author Kathryn Starke creating new partnerships and initiatives.
- Developed educational materials for Chicken Soup for the Soul
- Kathryn Starke represented Chicken Soup for the Soul as the keynote speaker for the Texas Superintendents’ Conference at Rice University on the topic of creating a classroom culture that promotes tolerance
- Amy’s Travels named a recommended title in the Washington Redskins Activity Book
- Named a board member on the Chris Baker 92 Foundation
- Guest author, Dr. Seuss Reading event, MCV Pediatric ER
- Presented “Motivating Struggling Readers into Independent Readers” at the Virginia State Reading Association to a standing room only crowd
- Presented a Kappa Delta Pi webinar on urban education to 300 registered participants
Stay tuned to see what else we’re working on this year at Creative Minds Publications, LLC! We’d love for you to join us. Visit http://www.creativemindpsublications.com to see how our company supports your children, family, schools, companies, and community
Like our page right now! http://www.facebook.com/creativemindspublications